- Are you feeling anxious, depressed, lonely or overwhelmed?
- Do you suffer from low self-esteem and negative thought patterns?
- Do you or does someone you love abuse substances or engage in addictive behaviors?
- Have you been trying to manage your troubles on your own or by talking with family or friends, but still feel stuck and don’t know where to turn?
Finding the courage and faith to reach out for professional help is often the hardest step of all. Based on more than two decades in private practice, I have found that once someone begins to talk with me about whatever is troubling them, they usually start to feel better. Seeking therapy to turn your life around may be one of the most important decisions you will ever make. In selecting a therapist, choose someone who makes you feel comfortable, is a perceptive listener, and has the experience, training and skills to help you make lasting, positive changes.
My approach to individual therapy
As a licensed psychoanalyst, I am trained to listen to the unconscious conflicts, ambivalent feelings and interpersonal dynamics that are keeping you stuck or feeling distressed. Through an interactive therapeutic process, in a safe and nonjudgmental setting, we will uncover how your moods, thoughts, feelings, fears and desires, along with past experiences, memories and relationships are impacting you.
I work with individuals struggling with anxiety and depression, dating and relationship issues, infidelity, separation and divorce, sexual concerns, career and personal life balance, life transitions, family problems, addiction, eating disorders, sexual abuse and many other issues. In addition to working with adults, I also work with teenagers and tweens.
As we engage in this collaborative undertaking, I will help you learn how to:
- Manage your feelings and behaviors more effectively
- Gain greater compassion for yourself and others
- Express your needs and desires more clearly, assertively and productively
- Have more satisfying relationships
- Develop your talents and skills and pursue your passions
- Respond to challenging situations with greater self-awareness, flexibility and confidence.
I view psychotherapy and psychoanalysis as an enriching, life-affirming, journey toward taking charge of your life. My approach is to be clear, straightforward, caring, compassionate, open-minded and honest. If there is something I believe would be helpful to look at, I will tell you, even when it’s difficult, in my effort to help you heal and grow. While I am serious and impassioned about my work, I also value humor. It takes time and commitment to work through your thoughts and feelings, but there’s no more valuable and satisfying way to build the inner resources and interpersonal skills that will lead you to a more engaging, meaningful and fulfilling life.
In getting started, I let you set the pace, and then tailor your treatment to meet your own individual needs and goals. If needed, I also arrange sessions via Skype or FaceTime.